To apply Send a letter of interest and résumé to email@example.com. Initial interview will be by phone/Zoom. A five day site visit will be required for finalists which will be fully paid.
Grace Church, an Episcopal Community in the Southern Berkshires, seeks a full time, year-round Director of Gideon’s Garden to manage our 1.5 acre farm and mentor, teach and supervise local youth as interns and volunteers.
Gideon’s Garden is a 1.5 acre, youth operated garden in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. Supported and staffed by Grace Episcopal Church in partnership with Taft Farms, it supplies 100% of its fresh produce to hungry folks in the area, free of charge.
Ordination is not required, though we do require the director to be fully immersed in their own faith journey. The candidate must love creation and see farming as a method of ministry. They must also have a strong passion for working with youth, and a desire to meet and impact young people where they are — whether they are Christian or not. We do not expect the outcome of this work to “fill our pews”, but rather to provide an environment that nurtures young people.
The successful candidate will have experience in farming and in youth leadership. Because Gideon’s Garden is located on the land of a commercial farm, the ability to work well with professional farmers, business partners, and seasonal workers is essential. So too is a natural gift for relationship building, and a heart for making community with people across difference of all kinds.
Day to Day responsibilities of the Director include: planning, planting, tending, harvesting, maintaining the grounds, tending a flock of chickens and delivering healthy, organic produce to local food pantries and to others who are hungry. The director will also:
- Create an accessible curriculum suitable for kids of all ages and abilities
- Teach, mentor, support and cheer on young people involved with the garden
- Train and supervise a young adult to serve as Summer Youth Supervisor
- Create and implement a budget
- Produce regular updates for the Grace Church website and weekly newsletter
- Expand the online presence of Gideon’s Garden
- Partner with our priest, The Rev. Cristina Rathbone, to:
- build relationships with local schools and youth organizations
- develop recruitment channels for kids in consultation with school counselors, teachers and youth leaders
- create, publicize and staff regular planting days, harvest celebrations, and volunteer opportunities for the community at large
- Proficiency (or fluency!) in Spanish a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits provided.